Is September the new January?
In my experience, I have found that summer tends to be a quiet time for my businesses. Personally, I use this period as an opportunity to have quality family time, a rest and a good think about the next few months ahead.
I don’t normally plan very far in advance – with 2 children and 2 businesses that is almost impossible – but I do have to be extremely organised (something that luckily comes naturally to me). More importantly, I do anything that saves me time, as time-wasting is my hugest bugbear!
So here are a few tips on things that save me time and that I’d definitely recommend.
- Evernote: write notes whenever inspiration strikes, using your smartphone, iPad or laptop. I also use it to write blog posts when I have a few minutes to spare.
- LinkedIn phone app: if you want LinkedIn to work for you, you need to be on it regularly. Thanks to the phone app you can send out useful status updates, tweak your profile or make new connections while waiting at the school gates or for the kettle to boil. There are no longer any excuses for procrastination!
- Write things in your diary: I add my business reminders to the Google calendar and I then receive an email so that I won’t forget them. It’s always a good idea, for example, to make a note of when to write your blog posts or send out your newsletter – the things that always fall by the wayside when you are busy.
- Talking to your clients: use a system like Capsule CRM to store your clients’ details and add ‘tasks’ to call/email them. Keeping in regular contact with your clients shows them that you care and ensures that you will stay at the forefront of their mind. What better time to chat than when you have time! Capsule CRM have an app that saves you time too!
- Your bookkeeping: yes, there’s no point ignoring it – it needs to be done! Give Xero a try; it’s a great time-saving tool which allows you to reconcile your accounts as you go, have your transactions pulled in directly from the bank, add your expenses via their app, and much more – I simply love this tool!
- Hootsuite: by scheduling your LinkedIn/other social media posts, you can ensure that you’ll never be short of material, even in your downtime. Hootsuite makes this very easy for you: link up all your social media accounts and schedule from one place.
If, like me, you also use the summer to make plans for your business, these are some areas on which you could focus.
- Content planning: look at topics that will be relevant to the months/events ahead. A good way of finding lots of inspiration is to save useful articles that you can then share at a future date on LinkedIn/other social media sites (tip: you could do this using Evernote). Also, think about which promotions you might want to run in the months ahead.
- Expand your network: you could start contacting relevant people/companies that you want to include in your blogs, in order to gain that extra exposure for your posts.
- LinkedIn planning: look at what you have achieved in the last 6 months and what your goals are for the next 6 months. For example, one of my aims has been to get more followers for my Company Page and I would like to reach 200 by the end of the year (you can follow my page here https://www.linkedin.com/company/linkedin-to-success Other examples of goals could be:
- generating brand awareness
- gaining in-depth knowledge so that you can show yourself as the expert in your field
- building your prospects’ database
- getting PR for your business
- connecting with influencers in your industry
- nurturing business connections
- finding a joint venture partner
- finding associates for your company.
Whatever they may be, make sure that those goals are specific so that you will know when you have achieved them.
- Review your business plan: you are halfway through the year so do you know whether you are well on your way to reaching your goals? Talking through them with someone or writing them down will make you more likely to achieve them.
And what about you – what saves you time? Do you use the summer to do some mid-year planning? I would love to hear from you.
If you have a question about LinkedIn that you would like me to answer next month, please email me now firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for reading!
What to do now:
- Did you like my post? Please share with your network.
- Sign up to my newsletter in the side bar and get my articles straight to your inbox.
- Please follow my LinkedIn to Success company page for information and conversation around LinkedIn:https://www.linkedin.com/company/linkedin-to-success
- Connect with me on Twitter and say hello: twitter.com/jadepluck
Jade Pluck owner of LinkedIn to Success, not only writes your LinkedIn profile so that you get found by potential clients, but most importantly teaches you how to use it effectively, so that you gain more business from it.
LinkedIn is an essential business tool that utilises your business connections to grow your business, so it is essential to make sure your profile is complete and that you are using it regularly in your business.
For more information, please look at my website www.linkedintosuccess.co.uk